– Olive Oil (2 Tbsp)
– Ground Lamb or Beef (about 1.5 lbs)
– 1 Large Carrot (grated)
– 1 Large Onion (grated)
– Fresh Rosemary - one large spring, leaves only, chopped
– Fresh Thyme - 2-3 springs, leaves only, chopped
– 4 cloves Minced Garlic
– Worcestershire Sauce (several splashes - 1-2 TB)
– Tomato Puree or Paste (no greater than a small can)
– 1/4 Chicken Stock
– Golden Potatoes (about 1.5 lbs)
– Heavy Cream ( 1/4 cup)
– Butter (3 1/2 Tbsp)
– Egg Yolks (2)
– Parmesan Cheese (1/4 cup, minimum)
Cooking the Potatoes:
Peel and dice potatoes before adding to salted boiling. Boil until fork tender and then strain. Place potatoes in size appropriate mixing bowl and mash using the above noted mash ingredients.
Cooking the Filling:
While the potatoes are boiling...
Pour Olive or avocado oil into a hot large pan and cook the meat. Stir meat and break it up into small pieces with your spoon until nice and brown. Add your Rosemary, Thyme, and Garlic, then stir. Add your Carrot, and Onion, and continue to stir longer. We want everything to be cooked and minced consistently.
Add Worcestershire Sauce, stir, add Tomato Puree, stir, add chicken stock and cook until reduced and thick.
Scoop your meat mixture right into a deep casserole or another oven safe dish and spread the mash over the top. Once the mash is resting on top sprinkle a generous amount of Parmesan and fork it into the mash potatoes creating small little peaks.
Place it in the oven at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes to brown the potatoes and and then enjoy with a fresh side salad!